Tui-na is another bodywork therapies with ancient roots in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) making it the grandmother of all forms of massage and body work from shiatsu to osteopathy. But Tui -na, differs from other forms of massage because it treats internal conditions.
Modern Tui-Na is the result of the five most important ancient school that influenced the modern techniques: Na fa (grasping), An fa (pressing), Gun fa (rolling), Tui fa (pushing), Zhen fa (vibrating) are just some of he techniques applied powerfully but softly and penetrating in their effect. For example Gun fa (rolling) produces a soft rhythmic stimulation of the body and some of the techniques are applied to points, along meridians and to joints.
Tui-na has the ability to:
• Promote the flow of Qi and Blood
• Expel, clear and dissipate pathogenic factors like atmospheric ones
• Regulate energy and blood circulation of the body
• Improve and regulate the functions of the internal organs
• Lubricate and facilitate the movement of joints
• Relax and calm the Shen
• Tui-na is both a form of physical bodywork and a subtle energy medicine. As a physical therapy it excels at releasing the meridians sinews (collectively the muscles, tendons and ligaments) and facilitate the movement of joints. By opening, releasing and balancing the channel sinew, Tui-na is able to treat not only muscular skeletal problems, but also any ailment that may be caused by emotional and postural holding patterns that have become unconscious and locked into the body’s protective connective tissue armour.
• Techniques can be applied in a variety of ways depending on the principle of treatment. For example, the technique Rou fa (kneading), applied with the palm of the hand gently, slowly and in a clockwise direction for 5 minutes over the point CV12 will tonify the Stomach (ST) and Spleen (SP). The same technique applied vigorously and anti-clockwise direction at a sinew channel binding area will release and relax the muscles, tendons and ligaments, and move stagnant energy and blood.